Twitter is at the same time a communication channel and a social network.
After using Twitter several months now and watching the discussion on Twitter in the blogosphere, on forums, within Linkedin Questions and Answers, I would like to present my 2 cents how the two purposes of Twitter can be used in a business context.
Distinction has to be made between the usage of Twitter by a company and the usage of Twitter by a professional, an individual in a professional context.
Opportunities for companies to consider Twitter
- publish links to interesting information published by the company: e.g. company info, but also news feeds, weather feeds
- use Twitter as a backchannel to collect feedback e.g. on products and services of the company or on presentations during an event
- promote services or products
- announce deals & opportunities
- improve ranking of company websites in search results of search engines
Opportunities for indivuals working for companies to consider Twitter
- publish links to information you've published elsewhere, e.g. on your blog
- expand your network
- listen to what other professionals in your domain are twittering
- increase your market value by showing your knowledge, experience, vision, ... on specific work-related subjects
- improve your ranking in search results of search engines