Twitter is according to the FAQ a community of friends and strangers from around the world sending updates about moments in their lives. Twitter is sometimes described as a microblogging tool. Twitter is lacking some of the functionalities you can find in other blogplatforms, e.g. comments, labels, categories or trackbacks to name only a few. But on the other hand Twitter offers several advantages.
The case for Twitter.
Why should someone who would like to blog use Twitter ?
- You have only 140 characters, you need to stick to the the essential.
- You can use Twitter on multiple platforms : web, windows, mac, mobile phone.
- Twitter is an open platform, with lots of tools available to post and to follow messages.
- Twitter is free. There is no need to register a URL. There is no need to look for a hosting company to host your blog.
There are however several reasons not to choose Twitter.
- A lot of bloggers - including myself - do not want to limit a blog post to 140 characters.
- A Twitter message can only consist of characters. It cannot contain HTML code. It is not possible to post pictures, music or videos.
- Customisation of your Twitter page is limited, only the colours and a background image can be set.
- Twitter does not allow widgets on your personal page. E.g. it is not possible to put a counter on your Twitter page.
- Link your blog and your Twitter account. Put a Twitter badge on your blog let your blog readers know what you are doing today. Mention the URL of your blog in your Twitter profile.
- Add frequent readers and commenters of your blog as friends in Twitter. Build the community around your blog on Twitter.
- Inform your Twitter followers that you have written a new blogpost through a Twitter message.
- Ask for feedback about your blog on Twitter.